"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

THIS WEEK (Mar 10 & 12): Intro to Mini-Ethnography & TED Talk

I want you to check out the following links (as well as the tags above): "MINI-ETHNOGRAPHY" and "INTERVIEWING".

Here's a great video on doing interviews: It's 30 mins long but a must see, take notes, and learn how to get people to talk and what NOT to do.

THIS WEEK: COMMENT ON 30 min VIDEO

--------------------------

FROM TED2009:

In the meantime, TED released the most AMAZING media technology I saw while at TED2009. It's called "Sixth Sense" and it was created by the MIT Media Lab.

4 comments:

Sofi said...

I was waiting to see this ever since Professor G mentioned it. I think that Apple got really close to this sort of idea with the iPhone (I have one and consider it my sixth-sense, and i also have teh TED app on it! ). I think that there is a lot of opportunity in the virtual world, especially when its at everyone's fingertips. We can market things virtually, and buy things virtually, travel virtually.
awesome TED video!

Anonymous said...

This video is amazing. Imagine going into a clothing store and checking out prices for the same item in other stores. This device would make such a difference in the way we shop, read, and work. Maybe having such easy access to information would not be a good idea. Now that we can easily check the price for an item in another store, there is no need to spend long hours shopping. Shopping can be the only time some families spend time with each other. You can argue for and against this item.

Eric said...

$350!! I want one already! But yea this idea that this would become our 6th sence would revolutionize our everyday life. Going back to what Nicole said, I think in a sence that as shoppers some of us have developed a "sixth sense". I myself shop for clothing often thus have develop a certain idea if such and such piece of clothing is worth the retail price or if your paying for the name brand or if it is a downright rip off. In a way as we expand our knowledge our "sixth sense" grows as well. Netherless such an invention would revolutionize the way we live our lives if such a product was mass produced.

Judy said...

I thought this type of device only existed in movies, such as the one she mentioned "Minority Report." It is amazing to see the number of things this tiny device can do and she said at the current price, it is only $350 which is amazing. Some cell phones with less features can cost twice that amount. At the rate technology is moving, I think it would take less than the ten years she predicted that we will come in with the Sixth Sense in our brain.