"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ch. 8 Gender: Mindblowing TED Talks on Women & Gender Roles

The author of this week's ethnography in C&C Nancy Scheper-Hughes writes "I argue that a high expectancy of child death is a powerful shaper of maternal thinking and practice." in "Mother Love" an article appearing in New Internationalist in 1994. This quote makes sense if you have read Chap. 5 in C&C already.
I am not arguing that mother love [in Alto do Cruziero/Brazil], as we understand it, is deficient or absent in the threatened little human community of Bom Jesus. Rather, the course of mother love is different, shaped by overwhelming economic and cultural constraints. The discussion attempts to overcome the distinctions between ‘natural’ and ‘socialized’ affects, between ‘deep’ private feelings and ‘superficial’ public sentiments – to show how emotion is shaped by political and economic context as well as by culture. It can be understood as a ‘political economy’ of the emotions.
Although gender has tended to be discussed relative to women only it really is a dynamic shaped in relationship to the other sex. Male to female and female to male.

For instance, while the United States still lacks gender equality, women's roles are no longer restricted to the domestic sphere in many places around the world. But women are still vulnerable esp in economic downturns according to representatives of the UN in a report on International Women's Day (March 6):

Yakin Ertürk, the UN Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women, its Causes and Consequences, ... marked the Day with a statement underscoring the importance for men and women to join forces in this time of economic turmoil.

“The scale and impact of the current crisis is still largely unknown, but it is expected that women and girls in both developed and developing countries will be particularly affected by job cuts, loss of livelihoods, increased responsibilities in all spheres of their life, and an increased risk of societal and domestic violence,” said Ms. Ertürk.

She highlighted the World Bank’s prediction of 53 million more people being driven into poverty in developing countries this year, bringing the total number of those living on less than $2 a day to over 1.5 billion.

Studies have shown that violence against women intensifies when men experience displacement and dispossession related to economic crises, migration, war, foreign occupation or other situations where masculinities compete and power relations are altered in society,” added Ms. Ertürk.

Ms. Pillay noted, however, that there is a new generation of powerful women growing up around the world with a strong sense of their identity and strength.

“They say ‘no’ to harmful practices such as early marriage, female genital mutilation and sexual harassment. They want to go to school and get an education. They want to be lawyers, doctors, judges and members of parliament. They want to change the world.
These two recently released TED Talks feature two remarkable women transforming ordinary conversations about who women are, what is possible from both disability and ability, and what strange and unpredictable things they can inspire.

ASSIGNMENT: Watch BOTH videos and write a comment. ALSO read other people's comments.





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first video about the legs was very interesting because at first i didnt recognize she had a fake leg. I was wondering why there was all these legs around her. It seemed cool that she had such a big variety of styles. I also thought that her friend's reaction to her ability to change her hieght was interesting but many people do think like that.
The second video was educational and taught me about trees and how there is so many different animals who just live on the top of trees and adapt to it. I also thought that it was pretty cool that her whole family was named after insects.

Anonymous said...

I loved the first video. She was able to make her disability sexy. I had no idea she had on fake legs. That video really toched me because no matter the cicumstance you can always conquer it. She has no legs, and not only is she an althlete but a model. And she's seems so happy.She's such a role model.

Charlene Scavetta said...

I enjoyed the first video, especially when she said that the adults told the children not to stare at her legs! That's exactly what we are taught:being curious is not a good thing.Why not?Is not a good thing to ask why?To want to know more?
What is amazing is that from something negative, she transformed it in something positive.Her legs became art sculpture.Isn't that fabulous?She can do things that we are not able to do.Having differences is what make us unique,but also what enables us to share experiences and discover new life area.

Anonymous said...

I loved the first video and how she compares herself to Pamela Anderson by saying she has more prosthetic in her body than she does yet no one calls her disabled. Shes right. If she doesnt consider her legs a disability than other shouldn't. She carries herself in such a postive way and in no way lets it affect her in life. She is a role model especially for people who allowing the way they look to dictate their lives.

Lena D. said...

The one part of the two videos that stuck out to me was the very first part of the first video. When she was talking about the children, and how adults teach them fear. I know that this is true because I learned my fear of snakes from my mom, only my fear is much worse. I also loved how a child wanted to know why she was limiting herself to walking when she could imaigne herself to fly. I have always wanted to fly....

I did not find the second video as enlightening, but i was unable to watch the whole thing because it wouldnt completely load.

Sofi said...

I had no clue, that the woman in the first video had fake legs, i just thought she made prosthetics, I definitely did not think she had them.
She spoke about beauty and what makes a woman beautiful, and what makes people disabled.
She was beautiful and did not look disabled at all, which gives me a lot of hope for the prosthetic movement, and for people who need replacement body parts and might be fearful of the look of prosthetics.
I think that in addition to prosthetics, people who do research on the human body and replacement parts, should figure out a way to grow skin. I have a burn on my leg that I got on vacation a couple of months ago, and I have been extrememely self concoius of it, I hope the people who research skin graphs and skin replacement, can be just as lucky as this woman and be as successful in finding perfect looking replacement parts for people who burn themselves.
I completely agree with Nicole, to have such a disability and be an athelete and a model is a great example for the rest of the girls in the world who are self concious.

The second video, was very educational, I had no idea canopies are being researched so much, and so much went on on the tops of trees.

Eric said...

I was like everyone else, I had no idea that in the first video the lady had fake legs. And I agree with Dana that the comparison to pamala anderson was hilarious. The video made me have a new view of people with "disabilities". When one brings up people that are disabled in a conversation one usually think of the people begging in the subway for money. We automatically feel sorry and sympathetic but the video has made me see disabilities wont hold people down, that they can motivate some to become better and stronger

Mohammad said...

The possibility of Aimee's legs being prosthetic had crossed my mind in the beginning minute or two of the video, because she did have a stunning pair of them on. Soon as I shook off that notion, I was rudely awakened to the fact that her legs are in fact, prosthetic. I was curious, to say the least, about what she had to say, but even if Aimee didn't have anything of substance to say, she could of held on to my interest just with her legs.

Anonymous said...

I like the first video about conquering her disability. I have watched a lot of disabled people. And among them, many overcame thier disability and make it their uniquenss. I believe that everybody has weakness in some point. Some intends to hide thier weakness, but others accept their weakness, and develope their weakness into strong point. The first video reminds me of how I should behavior with my weak point again.

Judy said...

The first speaker, Aimee Mullins, not only embrace her prosthetic legs but also showcase them in all different ways. She is a role model in that she is not 'disabled' by being legless but more 'enabled' to do more because she is legless. It is definitely very impressive to see how far she has gotten and done so much that many people would have considered impossible in her conditions. The second video was more informational and educational than inspirational like the first video.

Mailenny said...

The first speaker, Aimee Mullins, made me realize that the statement "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is true.I didn't realize it she had fake legs until she acknowledge it. I was thinking to myself, why is she talking about fake legs and disabilities? Aimee is truly an inspiration. The second video I like it a lot. It brought back childhood memories in the Dominican Republic. I remember climbing trees with my cousin, and in one particular situation getting attacked by bees.