"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ch. 6 Political systems: Indian Caste System

One of the most controversial topic regarding Indian society and culture is its stringent caste system. The word "caste" is taken from the Portuguese word casta. It can be defined as a rigid social system in which a social hierarchy is maintained generation after generation and allows little mobility out of the position to which a person is born. This is a perfect example of Max Weber's theory.

This system dates almost 3000 years back and was formed on the need to form a social order in ancient India. It is still very prevalent as part of India's society. Today, it occurs more in the rural villages than in big urban cities; and more in the social matters of kinship and marriages than in impersonal day-to-day interaction, such as taking the bus. Having been around for centuries, it is highly doubtful that the caste system will die out completely. Its presence will still be felt in the near future.

The four major roles excluding the dalits are:

Brahmans - priests, holy men, arbiters
Kshatriyas - kings, warriors, soldiers that protect and guard the country
Vaishyas - businessmen, traders, commercial class
Shudras - farmers, producers, peasants

The lowest class and the one excluded from even being in the list is the dalits. These have it the worst of the worst and as the video explains not even because of government amendments does it fade away from people's customs and beliefs. The true meaning of a social construct.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having been born in America, raised in America, it was extremely difficult to accept the fact that such harsh practices still exist today. The video portrayed a Dalit woman picking up feces from peoples' homes. Just the thought of such a job makes it unbelievable, let alone performing it. Even the government refuses to reinforce the laws they passed to prohibit such actions. I'm surprised that this had never been brought to my attention before this video. I had been taught all about Nazi genocide, lynching of African Americans, but never about Dalits.

-Brian T

Natalie said...

I think that this video was one of the most shocking to me. i would DEFIANTLY describe it as culture shock. I have always heard stories about the treatment of people in different countries, but it think this video really got to me because i finally connected faces to the cruelties that i have heard about. I think living in America, we are very fortunate in many ways, and i think that a main way is that we don't have to deal with certain caste systems, like these lower class people in India have to deal with. I was NOT aware that this was still very common today, and it is extremely sad and confusing to me at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Natalie, this is culture shock at its peak.
Furthermore, I was speaking to my friend about the Etoro, who believed that boys could not produce semen of their one, although we are no longer sure. The argument was as follows: even though our culture will see the act of oral insemination as "wrong" should we accept it as a culture norm and let them practice such acts?
This question could be raised again about the Mormons and other groups. At what point can our society intrude and say, this can not continue?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was an amazing video, I can not believe that in 2008 this is still happening. I am very happy I was born and raised in America where peoples' rights are respected, for the most part. I was very SHOCKED to see a women picking up feces by hand. I can not even stand dog feces, not to mention picking it up. I can not imagine these people forced to go hungry or eat rats. I do not think I have ever been that hungry and never want to be. I hope these people one day in the not so distant future get equal rights and can be able to go where ever they want, talk to who ever they want and be able to do any job they want.

Unknown said...

that video is scary. the political systems in india are harsh if they still do this. it was diffucult to watch because ive onl learned about these caste systems in india through school, but ive never really seen it. bieng her ein the U.S.A. theres alot of things we are blinded from.

Ken Zhen said...

I was disgusted to see that people are treated this way in parts of the world. I never knew there were such demeaning "jobs". It shouldn't even be considered as a job and more towards torture. You can see how awful it is by her expression and the need to always be covering her face since I'd imagine the stench is unbearable. I hope that soon they will rethink the caste system and have fair rights for all.

Rickey_li1234 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rickey_li1234 said...

The Caste system is horrible and unjust to the people that have to live within such a system. If I found this video sooner it would of help my group’s presentation on Political Systems and made the message much more powerful. My group wanted to show that we as Americans take everything for granted and complain about our government and rules, while we see things like this done in India. This video and many other video’s are perfect example’s that we don’t have it as bad as many Americans claim it to be. I don’t think anyone in America, not even the poorest of Americans would want to pick up another’s excrement, and even they would find that offensive and demeaning. But, others like the women and her family had to do this nasty job for their whole lives. I hope that the caste system will be eliminated and stopped. People deserve to be treated like that of equals. No one deserves to be treated like this.