"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ciara- Like a Boy

Ciara's song, Like A Boy is the pinnacle of relationship gender roles in our current generation. The song is implying that there is a certain way that men act which would be unacceptable for a woman to do since in apparently she can't "switch up the roles and be like that."

Sometimes I wish I did act like a boy..

Like A Boy lyrics

Pull up your pants
(Just Like Em')
Take out the trash
(Just Like Em')
getting ya cash like em'
Fast like em'
Girl you outta act like ya dig
(What I'm talkin' bout')
Security codes on everything
Vibrate so your phone don't ever ring
(Joint Account)
And another one he don't know about

[Hook]
Wish we could switch up the roles
And I could be that...
Tell you I love you
But when you call I never get back
Would you ask them questions like me?...
Like where you be at?
Cause I'm out 4 in the morning
On the corna rolling
Doing my own thing
Ohh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the theme of this song is really interesting and very true. Unfortunately in our generation, men and women have unwritten “rules” that they need to follow and if they don’t is totally unacceptable. However, men have more freedom than women to do things. For example, this Ciara song talks about the roles that men have, that if women were to have, it would be consider a big deal. One of the numerous examples of the things men are able to do and not be judge, while women can’t because it would be unacceptable in society is where men can have more than one girl. When a man has more than one girl, he is consider “The Man.” However, if a woman were to do the same she would be called a “slut.” These differences in gender have been going on for a long while and sometimes I think girls wonder what would happen if we “switch the roles.” How would men like it if women did all the things they are allowed to do in our society?

This song of Ciara reminded me of another song by Christina Aguilera which also talks about the difference in gender. The song is called, “Cant Hold Us Down,” which also questions the idea of why man is allowed to do certain things that woman can’t and why women tend to be “seen and not heard.” The first time I listened to the song, I loved it because the lyrics are very true and have a powerful message. Unluckily, this idea goes all the way back to early era when women were thought to serve only as housewives instead of human beings capable of having more than one role. As time has passed we certainly have made progress, but I still think that society has a long path to go and women have to speak their mind.