"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Monday, November 12, 2007

Desi Salons

The topic of the mini-ethnography that I am working on is about Indian Salon’s. My ethnography does not deal with a specific salon, but, the entire group of “desi” salons located in New York and how they exist in a diverse culture and help globalize. I used the term “Desi” Salons because “Desi” is a slang word that stands for the South-Asian community and a South Asian person will be fully aware of the existence of a desi salon in the area, while the same salon might seem like a just another salon to a pedestrian on the sidewalks of NYC. There are numerous salons in NYC, but nobody thinks of a salon based on a specific cultural background. These salons are separated from the usually salons because they use certain techniques that is only known to the South-Asian community and is popular amongst the South Asian public. For instance let us take an example of Henna Tattoos. Henna tattoos have been a part of the Indian culture since centuries, but, now it is becoming more popular worldwide. There are certain designs that are classified as traditional and the artists who know this can only be found in the “desi” salons in New York. Threading has been one of the famous techniques of eyebrow hair removal and in recent years and more people are becoming familiar to it. The ethnography will deal with who first started the Indian techniques in the United States and how it speeded out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since there weren't any updates on the blog this week, I decided to choose one of topics in the cloud. I saw NYC and was curious what it was about. There, I read about Desi hairsalons which was very interesting to me because before reading this blog, I wasn't aware that there are specifically traditional Desi hairsalons. The blog also mentioned that Hennas and Threading has become widely favored and it had originated from the South Asian culture. I had actually noticed this as well because when I was younger, I remembered seeing different classmates with Henna tattoos on their hands and I had wondered what it was. They told me they had done it for religious purposes but now when I go to different places in the city or the mall or even Amusement parks, they offer Henna Tattooing to everyone. Threading I noticed has also become popular because I usually wax my eyebrows like many Americans but recently my friend bought me to this Threading Salon near Baruch owned by an Indian Lady and she did an amazing job. I think I'm going to go back there to get my eyebrows done as a matter of fact.