"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Diet as a Social Construct

As the semester draws to a close, I've stumbled on an interesting speech by Michael Pollan, entitled "In Defense of Food." He speaks about how the nutritionist movement, which is defined by the quest to quantify the content of food, is a failed one, and how (past) culture is a more reliable indicator of whether or not something is healthy to eat. He touches on many different problems with the current American diet, but one rule, "don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food," stands out. After hearing this speech, I'm convinced that I need to pick up a copy of his latest book.



Blog By Abe Hedeya

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

I think that the chapters we read in the book would not seem as relevant and meaningful had it not been for the blog. Having relevant examples through posting youtube videos and text from Prof G shed a different light on the chapters in the book. For example, Chapter 8 on Gender, I had no idea that sex and gender were different but in terms of analyzing culture they are very different. The blog explains this clearly but I didn't get that explanation as clearly in the book. It does mention sexual dimorphism but that is something different again. Also blogs like the one on the Shakers and the Huli people of Papua New Guinea with his pajabu (cordyline leaves) were eye opening. I also had to have a look at the Irish label in the label cloud and found an interesting blog from October 29th 2007. Its about Gender also and compares Irish society with Dominican society. I would guess that the author is of Dominican background as that information is more detailed. I have to agree about the stereotype there, Irish men are given a bum rap when it comes to drinking, but I will admit that there is more of a drinking culture amongst Irish people than in the US in general.