"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong" (Richard Feynman)

Monday, February 11, 2008

Prof. G's Whiteness as Social Construct Slide Show

I know this exercise in creating a white museum (see previous post) has been difficult, uncomfortable and a bit baffling for many of you. As I reflect on how it is going, I am realizing that my presentation of it (as a professor who is not white) and the way I set you up (not as well as I would have liked in hindsight) was filled with troubling concerns. It looks like I am trying to entrap you into racist ideas and thinking. This much be disconcerting so early in the semester for many of you.

I promised this class would be a safe space to learn and grow in. I want you to be ready, willing and able to embrace and be empowered by ANY communication by the end of this course. Perhaps I've failed at bit at preparing you just yet. In any case, this is an important exercise that will set us up our conversations not about whiteness but about the nature of culture found in Chapter 3.

Yes, we need a definition of whiteness to complete this exercise though there are perhaps many we can come up with. That's the art of exploring the unknown, i.e., learning. To get to the unknown, we must empty ourselves of all we already know. Then discovering new things becomes available rather than replicating the past as if that's learning (sharing what you already think is known or true--that's just the first step). Additionally, we also need to define CULTURE to get at the heart of what this course in cultural anthropology is about and how it will become useful for you in the future. I gave you one definition--the learned ways of thinking, feeling, believing and behaving and now you've read about the value of working with a key cultural consultant (formerly called "informants" but the term evoked spying on your own culture/community).

So, I invite you to check out my emic slide show, my virtual white museum. I invite you and your group to create your own emic collaboration on whiteness as a slide show. That way we'll have 6 slide shows from the body of the class to compare. What different stories of whiteness can we tell or will the be the same? You game?? You can tell it from ANY perspective, from ANY point of view, from how far we come, what is no longer, from the view of minorities or from people considered white but view themselves as a particular ethnicity, or from religions, from sports, or from eye color and shape. Anything that tells a story about what we already know about whiteness. A local view of whiteness. We will explore and distinguish the difference between emic and etic in class. Prof. G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have ALWAYS been extremely sensitive to racism and i have always been very opinionated and felt secure about where i stand on the issue . This slide show really got me thinking back to our discussion in class where we were discussing " i agree to be offended". The truth is, i don't think i would ever be able to "agree to be offended" because of the sole fact that i am an extremely apathetic and sympathetic person. I DO understand the point of the concept, and i don't think it is either wrongfully or rightfully justified, BUT i just could never see myself wanting to talk to someone who is racist on ANY scale, whether they pass judgments on me, or any other person who shows that they are different in any way. I have no patience for ignorance, and i believe that ignorance is the stem of all racist behavior. I do agree that some people have had a bad experience with someone in the past and maybe that is why they believe the things they do, but i think that the reason they STAY TRAPPED in these racist, or prejudice, or Bias points of view, is because they don't WANT to expand their minds and learn about different cultures and society's, for example, and thats were i believe the ignorance of that person lies. They are just as capable of learning to see past social constructs as any other person, but its the people who actually WANT to, that do so.

I am looking forward to expressing some of my thoughts through the "whiteness" slide show that me and my group will prepare.

-Natalie

Kyra Gaunt, Ph.D. said...

Bold and committed speaking. Great Natalie.

One question: Can anyone see their own ignorance? Might it be a blind spot for them? Or is it just the way life is and the other are the ignorant ones?? Humans have the amazing capacity to NOT see their own biases. NO matter how visual we are it takes something to see them -- more than just sight. Perhaps the word INSIGHT is most appropriate. How does one get insight and what about Ghandi? He was a perfect example of tolerating ignorance and difference and standing for the impossible.

BACK TO THE POINT: Anyone noticing that most are commenting ON the exercise but not DOING it?

You can't go around this one. Just go through it!

Tamara Perry said...

Looking at the slide show made me realize that in the American culture White culture coincides heavily with Black culture. The only difference between the two cultures is the different point of views from each side is told. It is really fascinating.

Anonymous said...

After seeing this slide again in class today, I have more appreciation for it. At first I didn't completely understand it. It was especially interesting to have you explain the quote by frederick Douglas "I would unite with anybody to do right". Now I see how this would fit into the whiteness museum. It is true that most portrayals of Jesus, Adam and Eve are predominantly white.
What would the reaction be if Jesus was Black, Asian or any other race?